Ringing in the New Year is always an exciting time, and many of us mark the occasion by making new resolutions. We vow to lose weight, save money or spend more time with family and friends. But what goals do we set for our homes?
Your best year starts here with five resolutions that will make your home a more beautiful, efficient, clean, and green place in the coming year.
- Streamline the stuff. Clearing your home of clutter is one of the least expensive and most rewarding ways to feel better about your home. Resolve to go room-by-room periodically clearing anything that you don’t use, wear or love and donate it to charity.
- Clean sweep. Spread cleaning over a week’s time so it won’t be overwhelming. Take time to write down each item to do. There are some jobs that don’t need to be done often, like dusting ceiling fans. For bigger jobs, like cleaning carpets, consider help from the professionals.
- Make it safe and sound. Check your home for deadly gasses such as radon and carbon monoxide. Purchase inexpensive test kits from the local hardware store to safeguard your family.
- Easy ways to be green. You don’t need solar panels or a hybrid car to go green. You just need to use a little common sense to reap the benefits. Start by cutting your energy usage in your home. Switch off the lights when you leave a room, turn off your air conditioner when you leave the house and dial your heater down at night.
- Open house. Feel good about spending more time at home with family and friends by making small updates in the areas you entertain. Add plants to bring in new energy and color to your decor. Pull out a new accent color with new pillows and throws.
For more tips like these, follow Blackmon Mooring on Facebook and Twitter.